17 April 2009

CNN breaking news?!?

As a way to stay informed about the world's big news stories, I get CNN Breaking News headlines e-mailed to my work e-mail address. Most headlines fed to my brieann.szatkowski@company-Brie-works-for.com address are journalistically considered "breaking news" and about things that could possibly impact my day as a PR/communications professional. However, occasionally I receive e-mails from CNN and just roll my eyes. For example, here is a "breaking news" headline I received at 2:15 a.m. EDT: Just in case the image's text is too small for your eyes - the headline is "Ashton Kutcher is first to reach 1 million Twitter followers in contest with CNN." I understand the whole "social media breakthrough" that is Twitter, but come on. Is Ashton's milestone really something that should be considered "breaking news?" Because he reached the 1 million mark as part of a contest, does this mean he has really accomplished something noteworthy? Was this contest stupid? Discuss.



No comments: