04 September 2008

Decisions

Twenty-somethings have so many decisions to make. Seriously, the stress is enough to put me into a coma. 99 percent of the time I am high energy, my decision-making skills are at expert level, I thrive in high stress environments (I'm a clutch tennis player for sure), and I don't need a lot of sleep to function, but right now, I would pick a coma over having to make some of these decisions. Many people my age are feeling the same pressures and are forced to answer these questions:
1. Am I in the right job?
2. Should I go back to school?
3. Should I look for a different job?
4. Is this the right city/town for me?
5. What comes first, a relationship or a career?
6. Does love conquer all?
7. Should I start saving for a house in the country, or stay in the city?
8. I'm ready to settle down, but my boyfriend/girlfriend is not? Should I stay or should I go?
9. When is the best time to procreate?
10. What is the most important thing to me right now?

My own father asked me number 10 yesterday. It took me about 7 minutes of talking nonsense to fully answer that question. While every ounce of my scarred heart wants the answer to be love, it is not love. Well, it is in a way about love, but not in the loving-another-person-enough-to-plan-your-life-around-him/her way. It's the I-have-to-learn-to-love-myself-and-do-what's-best-for-me-before-I-commit-to-another-person way. So what's best for me? Well, I am going to continue to build my career, work hard, and make a name for myself in a surprisingly small professional field. But, it would be nice to share this journey with someone else.

No comments: