29 October 2009

Newest Obsession

To those of you who know me, it shouldn’t come as a surprise as I divulge my one kitschy obsession to be owls. Perhaps this fixation with all things hoot-tastic began in 2002, when, while recovering from de-wisdom-teething my mouth, I picked up Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and fell in love with his winged friend, Hedwig. Portrayed in Rowling’s books as undeniably intelligent and as loyal as the family retriever, owls have become designers’ best friend. Their feathery images are slapped on everything from notebook covers (hello Vera Bradley) to mini-dresses (French Connection, you know I’m talking about you). Betsey Johnson has been using the wise owl to inspire her funky jewelry for at least three years; I own a long, gold and black necklace with a large own pendant sporting googley eyes and recently purchased owl earrings from my favorite sample sale website, RueLaLa (thanks Sherry!). Marc Jacobs even created a small purse shaped like these pellet-creating birds. Home designers are also using owl images to inspire some of their designs. From owl-shaped lamps to jewelry trees sporting the outline of an owl, it seems like everyone is wising up and falling in love with these nocturnal birds of prey.


No comments: