07 October 2008

Walking in my own shoes

They say you shouldn't judge someone, unless you have had the chance to walk in their shoes. Well, I judged 21-year-old Brie today.

So I went for a bike ride today in Johnson Park. During my relaxing ride, I noticed that I was wearing the sneakers I bought for my trip to France in March 2005. These tan and maroon Saucony sneakers have certainly been everywhere. I wore them in France - the countryside, Versailles, and Paris - and all over the U.S. When I first bought these sneakers, I was about 30 pounds heavier, had no self-esteem or self-respect, and was afraid. I hadn't ever really fallen in love, didn't have a degree, was never on my own, was not independent, and highly irresponsible.

Since March 2005, three and a half years ago, I have grown...a lot. I have created a banging resume, graduated undergrad and grad school, moved in with a boyfriend then out on my own, lost more than 30 pounds, gained a pretty great sense of style (at least that's in my opinion) and lastly, I fell in love.

So I'm older, I'm wiser, and, arguably, smarter - but it doesn't mean that things have been and are easy or easier than they used to be. In fact, growing up has been hard and will continue to be hard. I thought I found the one person that could make this hard, sometimes cruel, life fun and interesting and exciting. I thought he found that in me, too. But now, we are both not so sure. I miss him.

No comments: