17 March 2009

Summer pressures = healthy improvements

In exactly two months, Jackie and I will be rappelling down waterfalls, scaling up a volcano and kayaking through mangroves in beautiful Costa Rica. And month after our Costa Rican adventure, we will be sunning ourselves like iguanas on rocks in the Hamptons. These summer activities are synonymous with skimpy clothes and bathing suits, which is enough of a motivating factor for any woman to want to lose a few pounds.


It is with this in mind that I registered for Self Magazine's 2009 Self Challenge. This program allows you to track your eating habits and workouts online for free. There are also tools and resources to help you lose those L-Bs and tighten those abs and gluts. While my vegetarian and active lifestyle is generally very healthy, I've recently accumulated a few extra pounds on my 5' 3" frame and would love to get rid of them ASAP. The food and exercise logs are key for me as they allow myself to really examine what I eat and how efficient my activities are in burning those kcals. I've only been enrolled in the Self Challenge for a week, and I am already making minor changes to my lifestyle. For example, I have recently added more strength training to my workouts and I have started eating more during the day and less in the evening. I'll keep you updated on my progress and will let you know when (positive thinking here!) I reach my goal (drop a dress size/lose 5-7 pounds).


No comments: